Thursday, December 15, 2016

Unit 5 Reflection

In this unit, we learned about the central dogma. The central dogma says that information travels from the DNA to the RNA to the proteins, which make up the physical traits that we have. This process can be broken down even further into two steps: transcription and translation. Transcription is the process in which DNA unzips and RNA is made to match the spare nucleotides to make messenger RNA (mRNA). In translation, mRNA arrives at the ribosomes, where the codons are translated into a code for proteins, which are produced and make up our physical traits. There are also mutations and different things that can regulate gene expression, but those are rather slightly less relevant to the central idea of the unit.

One of my main strengths in this unit was that I was able to easily translate and transcribe different DNA pairing, RNA sequences, and going from codon to protein, This made the protein synthesis lab quite easy for me, as I was done in less than 10 minutes. However, one of my weaknesses was not being able to visualize things. When Mr. Orre called on students to walk up to the board to label the different items related to regulating gene expression, I was not even able to identify a single one. Thank goodness I wasn't called up!

Yet still, I have many questions. Mr. Orre said that this unit would bridge the gap between how our chromosomes affected our traits, but I still don't quite get how different alleles correspond to different base pair codes and how the types of proteins can create so many different combinations that affect our physical traits.

As a student, I feel like I have definitely grown after this unit. DNA had always been one of the most puzzling concepts for me that I couldn't quite grasp. However, I feel that after this unit, especially after creating the DNA model, my understanding of the structure and function of DNA has definitely expanded. Also, my learning skills have definitely improved. I used to rush through my vodcasts with haste, focusing more on completing the task rather than actually trying to learn more as a biology student. Now, I listen carefully and try to pick up on as much detail as possible, even referencing the textbook when the vodcast is unclear. I feel like this time, unlike the others, I will not be cram-studying the night before the test because I think I already have ample knowledge to do well on the final. I might study a little bit here and there and review my peer study guides, but I will definitely be getting a good night's sleep this time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment